how do LED lights help as an energy efficient solution?

May 4, 2022 | lighting

LED lighting has quickly become the most energy-efficient lighting technology available. With the UK Government’s aggressive Net Zero objectives and the drive to decarbonisation, replacing older inefficient fluorescent lighting is very high on every organisation’s agenda. From both a sustainability standpoint as well as cost reduction.

There are a number of ways that LED lighting you can help you improve the quality of the lighting for the occupants, save money on your energy costs and help protect the environment.

create a better environment

Recent research has identified the invisible pulsing and flicker caused by fluorescent lighting as a potential migraine trigger. This type of light also provides poor task lighting, causing eye strain, and this can also lead to further headaches, fatigue and nausea.

longer lifespan.

A major advantage of using LED light bulbs is the fact that they are designed to last much longer than standard light bulbs, potentially up to 25 times longer than conventional forms of lighting. It is this longer lifespan that means less bulbs actually need to be produced, which is better for the environment by reducing the impact of manufacturing processes, plastic packaging usage and transportation emissions.

less wasted energy

LED bulbs are up to 80% more energy efficient than older bulb technologies, as well as wasting significantly less energy. Typically, Fluorescent lights convert approx. only 5% of the energy they produce into light, the remaining 95% is converted into heat. Therefore, by requiring less energy they have a very positive effect on the environment and CO2 emissions, plus a significant reduction in yearly energy bills.

less harmful chemicals

Many older fluorescent light fittings contain harmful chemicals and elements, such as Mercury, Lead and even Arsenic. Obviously this represents a major risk to the environment, especially if they are not disposed of properly, potentially ending up in landfills.
By comparison LED lights don’t contain any hazardous materials so they are safer for the environment and can be recycled by responsible operators with the appropriate licenses.